|215 SOUTH MARKET STREET - LISBON, OH 44432
|BEAVER VALLEY POWER STATION
SHIPPINGPORT, PA 15077
northwestern Beaver County, Pennsylvania, immediately on the Ohio River and 4.7 miles northeast
of Columbiana County.
Beaver Valley Power Station is owned and operated by Akron, Ohio based First Energy
Corporation, a registered public utility holding company who in addition to Beaver Valley operates
the Davis-Besse and Perry nuclear plants located in Ohio.
The Beaver Valley Power Station is a two unit power plant located in western Pennsylvania near
the Ohio border. The plant was built in anticipation of increased electricity demand. The blackout
in the northeastern part of the United States in 1965 was considered evidence of the need for
The first commercial central electric-generating station in the United States to use nuclear energy
was the Shippingport Atomic Power Station of the Department of Energy and the Duquesne Light
Company. In a dramatic high-tech display, ground was broken in 1954 during dedication
ceremonies by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who also opened it on May 26,1958, as part of
his "Atoms for Peace" program. The first power at Shippingport was produced on December 18,
1957, and was fed into the grid for the Pittsburgh area. Owned by the Department of Energy, the
reactor plant was shut down on October 1, 1982 and decommissioned in December 1989.
Beaver Valley Power Station Unit #1 began producing electricity in 1976 and Unit #2 in 1987.
The Emergency Preparedness (EP) program for the Beaver Valley Power Plant in Pennsylvania,
includes onsite emergency response readiness and coordination with offsite state and local
emergency response organizations. The 10-mile emergency planning zone (EPZ) for Beaver
Valley includes three States, Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.